Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day

I have devoted 11 individual posts to accounts of veterans about their experiences in war. The accounts were previously published in JED, the Journal of Electronic Defense (I'm editor-in-chief of that magazine). Although Veterans Day is an American observance, I have included accounts of veterans from other nations as well: Great Britain, France, Poland, Denmark, and Israel. Today is also Armistice Day, the 87th anniversary of the end of World War 1.

I am not a soldier and have never experienced war. This makes me lucky. It also makes me blessed. Other people have put on a uniform and fought and killed and suffered and sometimes died. They served for many reasons. But one of the results of their service is that I never had to risk my life in war. The same holds true for veterans who never saw combat: Their service has kept me safe.

Thank you, Veterans.

I want to add one more story: the account of the late General Charles W. Sweeney, commander of the Nagasaki atomic bombing mission. I started Situational Awareness on August 9, 2005, the 60th anniversary of the mission that ended World War 2. Please spare a moment to read General Sweeney's story, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home